What’s On

What does the rise of the mobile ‘ecosystem’ mean?

Mobile marketing, in various instances, is misunderstood as just a different medium of brand communication but mobile has transformed into a mobile ecosystem for marketers and latest technology has to be employed to help the ecosystem grow. Cameron Stewart, General Manager of HasOffers has defined this platform shift to mobile as a market opportunity just like emergence of radio, television or internet in the past.

But this platform shift is expected to cause a large revolution in comparison to the others. This is the age of mobile where advertisers and marketers are using mobile to change the way they communicate with their consumers and attract a fresh base on back of innovation. “Mobile serves as a tool where everything is integrated into the pocket,” added Mr Stewart.

Unlike in case of television, holding the attention of consumer as a mobile marketer is not based on allotted primetime slot and therefore the interaction has to be modified accordingly. Further the wide range of smart phones and features phones in the market and different data speeds make mobile marketing more complicated.

Mr Stewart also pointed out another interesting trend and said, “86 per cent of smartphone usage is ‘in-app’ consumption and the remaining 14 per cent goes largely for discovery building and information.” However, just the number of download and installs do not quantify the success of a mobile app, it is initiatives from the marketers end to engage the customer that make a mobile app stand out.

“In an app environment, the marketer is only making a 60-second sales pitch on the app but the brand must motivate the consumer to come back to the app and make a purchase,” added Mr Stewart.

Mobile has opened several avenues for marketers not only in terms of platform itself but also in advertising formats. Terms such as native advertising have caused buzz in the Indian market. Native advertising in India still may be in its nascent stage but the advent of mobile has boosted its adoption, which will be seen in the years to come.

“Platforms such as Facebook and Twitter have given advertisers access to publishers apps and this trend has helped people move away from mobile web to native apps created for mobile,” said Mr Stewart. He further substantiated his optimism on mobile saying, “In the last 10 years, mobile-first companies have surpassed the valuation of traditional channel companies such as television.”

Search