CES 2015 is plugged in, switched on and ready to roll. So for my first update, I’ve decided to dispense with the obvious route of mega TV’s, smarter phones and thinner phablets and have focussed on the top 5 coolest (aka strangest) items on offer this year. So, in no particular order, here goes:
• Rollkers – Want to get where you are going 7 mph faster? Then these battery powered roller skates that slip on over your shoes are what you were dreaming of. Or, if you are like me, just a slightly quicker route to the A&E department.
• Withings Activite Pop – a smartwatch and fitness tracker all rolled into one. Available in multi-coloured faces and straps it measures step activity, sleep tracking, vibration alerts and has an eight months battery life. Oh and weirdly it tells the time too.
• Smarter WiFi Kettle – the answer for all those out there who wanted an app controlled teapot that offers temperature control and pre boil brewing. Problem is, no-one ever asked the question…
• Connect Cycle Smart Pedals – who needs Strava when you can have these babies? They include a GPS tracker and various other sensors that can monitor speed, distance, elevation and also include a security feature if the bike starts moving when it shouldn’t. Not sure they will look that cool in the pro-peloton though.
• Zensorium Being – there are a gazillion smart watches at CES this year but this one marks itself out by apparently measuring your mood. It uses an optical sensor to track blood flow through your wrist to let you know when you are stressed or calm. It then syncs with the obligatory app which lines up other factors including sleep and activity. Although maybe a more simple of your stress levels is how much you bite your nails.
Tuesday? The OMD Oasis cranks up and we get to hang out with ‘American Idol’ Ryan Seacrest and rap with Snoop Dogg. Tha Shiznit. Tune in tomorrow to see how that goes…